The Interpersonal Mediation Practitioner’s Certificate
Become an accredited mediator with our flagship mediator qualification.
Qualify as a mediator with the Interpersonal Mediation Practitioner’s Certificate (IMPC), the market-leading 40-hour professional mediator training programme.
The IMPC qualifies you to be able to resolve all types of interpersonal disputes more positively, including bullying and harassment and grievance-type issues in the workplace, consumer disputes, family and neighbourhood fall-outs, all types of complaints, and business conflicts. Over 5,000 people have qualified with us in the last nineteen years on this highly regarded course, and 100% of our learners would recommend the course to others.
One reason for the popularity of the course is that all of our trainers are themselves practising mediators, who pass on their skills through a number of exercises, lectures, group discussions, lively dispute simulations and real case studies. We emphasise learning-by-doing in order to build up your competence and confidence as a mediator.
We have trained and qualified interpersonal mediators from all over the world, and our training sits on the National and the European Qualifications and Credits Frameworks, just like GCSEs, A Levels and Degrees. Train with us and you get a proper, externally accredited qualification, respected and recognised throughout the UK and beyond.
- compare and contrast mediation with other forms of dispute resolution
- identify the requisite skills and qualities of an effective mediator
- understand how to apply mediation in your own setting
- prepare for, set up, run, and conclude mediation sessions
- achieve the six learning outcomes for the level four award of the Mediation Practitioner's Certificate
- The underlying principles of mediation
- The step-by-step mediation process, and tasks at each stage
- The role of the mediator compared to other professional roles
- Confidentiality and impartiality in mediation
- How to initiate, manage and conclude the mediation process
- The skills and knowledge required of mediators
- Encouraging people to participate in mediation
- How to ensure that mediation is safe, constructive, and effective
- Video of a simulated dispute, illustrating how people behave when they are in conflict
- Lecture and discussion
- Group exercises
- Small-group activities
- Practice sessions with simulated case material
- Real-life case studies
- HR Professionals
- People Managers and Team Leaders
- Welfare Officers
- Equality Officers
- Housing Workers
- Employment Solicitors
- Trainers and organisational consultants
- Trades Union Representatives
- Family workers and family group conferencing teams
We are pleased to be able to offer you a 10% discount if...
- Early bird discount - The course you are booking on is more than 90 days away
- Charity discount - You are representing a registered charity
- Three learner discount - You are booking three or more learners
Only one discount is allowed per booking.
At a glanceBook now
0800 772 0778
"Very good, I can't wait to get started! I will use the skills throughout the rest of my role at work." Jane Thrale, John Lewisread more testimonials
About the venue
11 Portland Street in Manchester’s Piccadilly district is at the centre of a transport hub within easy access of mainline and tram stations – in fact the tram stops right outside our door!
Situated across the 8th floor with fantastic views over the city and an abundance of natural light.
Delegates will enjoy a spacious and modern training facility, fully equipped with the latest AV technology and full catering facilities. 11 Portland Street has flexible rooms perfect for conferences meetings, exhibitions and events, all on one floor with easy access to the onsite restaurant and luxurious lounge. Super fast free WiFi throughout the venue as well as all rooms fitted with high spec projectors and screens.
How to get there
There is a pay and display NCP car park on Major Street (directly behind the venue). Follow for directions to NCP Major Street. Car parking for up to 9 hours is £12.00 or for 24 hours is £15.50. Address is Major Street, Manchester, M1 3ED
Approx. 5 minutes walk from Piccadilly
From the main platforms, follow the yellow ‘Way Out’ signs to Piccadilly. Once across the station concourse, follow the yellow ‘Way Out’ sign, Piccadilly Station Approach. Once outside the station, follow the pavement across the silver arched pedestrian bridge, directly ahead of you. Follow the pavement down for 100 metres and to the right, you will see the City Café sign on the corner ahead of you. At the City Café sign, turn slightly right onto Aytoun Street.
The tram lines run parallel to Aytoun Street. You will see a directional sign saying City Centre. Carry on walking up Aytoun Street, you will cross the canal and you will see the Crown Court building up ahead of you on the left hand side. Cross over the road so you are on the same side as the Crown Court. Carry on walking past the Crown Court and Major Street car park (both on the left hand side) and the entrance to the venue is 100 metres ahead of you on the left hand side on the corner of Aytoun Street and Portland Street.
Approx. 2 minutes walk from Piccadilly Gardens
This is a main transport hub for Metrolink trams and buses and is a 2 minute walk from the venue.